September 29, 2006
On Sept. 28 the EPA released the Record of Decision (ROD) for the Butte Priority Soils Superfund site. The ROD addresses the cleanup of soil, surface water and groundwater in Butte and Walkerville, an area that is the source of Silver Bow Creek and the headwaters of the Clark Fork River.
The ROD, according to an EPA press release, requires the:
* establishment of a metals abatement program which includes attic dust removal,
* removal of sediments and contaminated soils in Silver Bow Creek,
* groundwater and surface water monitoring programs,
* full implementation of the Lower Area One (LAO) Metro Storm Drain groundwater collection and treatment system,
* implementation of a Best Management Practices program for storm water control and surface water,
* cleanup of source areas with elevated levels of heavy metals, and
* implementation of the source area reclamation evaluation.
Check out the Montana Standard’s coverage. An EPA fact sheet is available and the full document can be found at the EPA website. An EPA Open House will be held on November 9 from 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm at the Butte Silver Bow Courthouse at 155 W. Granite St.